Volunteers needed for our Reuse Project
We are actively seeking volunteers who can help accept and sort the donated technology at our collection events at NewMakeIt, 621 Timothy Street, Newmarket
If you are looking for an opportunity to learn about hardware and how it can be reused and are excited about the idea of improving your community and the lives of others, volunteering at our collection events could be the right place for you.
About our Reuse Project
Free Geek Toronto and NewMakeIt, with financial support from York Region’s Circular Economy Initiative Fund, are partnering to collect all the unwanted computer-related items you have collecting dust in people’s drawers, garages, and closets. Volunteers will be wiping the data, replacing components, and installing an open-source operating system to get the most out of unwanted technology.
We are looking for volunteers to help accept and sort the donated hardware. This is a great earn volunteer hours for high school students.
- Greeting people and assisting them with a positive energetic attitude while accepting donations
- Sorting items for repair/refurbishment or recycling and securely storing them
- Test hardware, including disassembling items and doing minor repairs
- Be dependable and punctual
- Be courteous and personable when dealing with the public
- Be self-directed, willing to take the initiative, and detail-oriented
- Ability to lift 40 lbs. (~22 kg)
- Attend general volunteer orientation along with Health & Safety and Customer Service training
- During collection events, learn about computer repair and refurbishment through our training sessions on those topics
- Sundays from 11 am – 3 pm (September – December 2023) excluding Thanksgiving
- Make an impact, locally and globally
- Conserve the environment and empower people in your community
- Learn practical skills related to computer repair and maintenance
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to our volunteer coordinator, Etinosa. We will connect with volunteer candidates and arrange for an interview and virtual onboarding session.
Thank you for making a difference!