Free Geek Toronto is a not-for-profit employment social enterprise dedicated to building digital inclusion in the Greater Toronto Area. We seek out unwanted technology donations from individuals and organizations, refurbish them, and sell them alongside other reusable technology at accessible prices. We believe in the strong societal impact of a circular economy and are proud to have worked in this space for over a decade.
Free Geek Toronto is looking for two enthusiastic and engaged volunteers to serve on our Board of Directors. We encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ages, education and income levels, beliefs, cultural, ethnic or sexual identities, and those living with visible or invisible disabilities who are passionate about our cause to volunteer with us. Those with interest and/or experience in one or more of the following areas are particularly encouraged to apply:
- Financial Management
- Social Enterprise/Not-for-Profit Management
- Marketing and Communications
Why Join Our Team?
Expand your leadership and governance experience and grow your network
- Expand your skills in areas such as not-for-profit governance, fund development, strategy, community building and communications;
- Contribute to the decision-making processes of a social enterprise in a significant phase of growth;
- Become part of a team of people passionate about digital inclusion, the environment, social enterprise, and community.
Make an impact, locally and globally
- Build digital inclusion and reduce barriers to technology at a time when it has never been more critical;
- Give technology a second life in the hands of those who need it most;
- Contribute to discussions and decisions that conserve the environment through a circular economy approach to tech;
- Contribute to FGT’s commitment and initiatives to keeping e-waste out of unethical and non-regulated recycling in the GTA and beyond.
What will you do?
- Bring demonstrable experience from a working Board of Directors of a social enterprise / not-for-profit / charitable organization.
- In addition to the areas of expertise listed above, bring awareness, skills and / or experience in community social services, strategic planning, policy, grant writing and community building.
- Attend board meetings. Board meetings are generally held on a weekday evening for approximately 2 hours once a month. Most board meetings are held virtually; however, in-person meetings are held quarterly at FGT’s shop (C3-180 Sudbury St).
- Participate in projects and committees (approximately 5-10 hours/month), help guide the growth and impact of our organization, and be ambassadors of the Free Geek Toronto community and vision [online and offline].
- Reflect the vibrant diversity of the communities we serve.
Let’s work together. Ready to join us?
In a cover letter, please share why joining the Free Geek Toronto Board feels like the right volunteer opportunity for you, along with your updated resume and/or LinkedIn profile. Please note that we are only accepting applications from residents who live in the Greater Toronto Area.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com by Friday, February 23, 2024We appreciate all applications; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.